Yesterday marked Isabelle’s 12th birthday…..where does the time go?!? She started off with pop-tarts for breakfast, yes a special birthday treat, not a normal breakfast choice in the Honey home! We spent the afternoon at the lake and the evening eating very nummy food, of her choosing! Her birthday dinner consisted of steak with the Zesty Flank Steak marinade, thick baked beans, baked artichokes with melted butter and homemade corn fritters with honey butter….yikes it was a delicious meal!! Oh… and I cannot forget, she got her first Mountain Dew! Soda Pop is a treat here for the Honey children. You don’t get your first real can of pop till your 6th birthday and then smatterings of drinks thereafter. When you turn 11 you get a pop the first Friday of the month and Mt. Dew is definitely off limits until your 12th birthday! Per Isabelle style, she opened it, drank barely any, shared it with her big brother and the rest sits in the fridge slowly losing carbonation and becoming a sugary syrup undrinkable drink! For dessert, she had chosen Pink Lemonade Cupcakes from this neat book …. Fun Stuff Cupcakes. At first I was unsure as the frosting is a little different and it is intended to look “melted” hence the “lemonade drink” look but they turned out really quite well and they were fun and pretty simple to make.
There are so many things to love about Isabelle, but here are a few heard around the table last night…. “ I love how she is always willing to play with me and play Little House and she is the best sister”, “I love how she lets me build the cabinets she needs in the red building for Little House”, “I love that she goes the extra mile and helps others”, “she is kind”, “I love her cheeks”!!! She is tender, kind, compassionate, giving, has a tender heart for things of the Lord, an excellent sister, an invaluable mother’s helper and a precious daughter. She is truly a joy to our hearts.
Pink Lemonade Cupcakes
1 package white cake mix
1 cup water
3 egg whites
1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup thawed pink lemonade concentrate, divided
2 T veg oil
5-8 drops red food coloring, divided
4 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened
Fruit slice candies, straws
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 18-22 standard muffin cups with paper baking cups
2. Beat cake mix, water, egg whites, 1/3 cup lemonade concentrate, oil and 4-6 drops food coloring in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed 2 minutes or until well blended. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling 2/3 full.
3. Bake 18-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in pans 5 minutes, reove to wire racks to cool completely.
4. Beat powdered sugar, butter and remaining 1/4 cup lemonade concentrate in medium bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add a pinch of milk or cream if frosting is to thick. Beat in remaining 1-2 drops red food coloring until desired shad of pink is reached.
5. Pipe frosting over cupcakes, garnish with candies and straws.