Friday, December 21, 2012

A Gathering of the Who's


Izzzy-Lou Who and Shelley-Sue Who off to a Whoville Party with some nummy Who-Pop!
 
Much fun was had by all! 
 
 
 


 
 
The original recipe for the candied popcorn was found here … Fruity Kool-Aid Candied Popcorn … but I will share the Honey Who - Pop recipe with my adjustments. Since this recipe was somewhat similar to my caramel corn I knew how I wanted to adjust it.  I halved everything in the recipe except the baking soda and I didn’t use a candy thermometer.  Having made my caramel corn so often I know you simply get it to a boil and boil for 5 minutes.  We used Tropical Punch flavored Kool-Aid so the popcorn had a “fruity pebbles” flavor, but you could use any flavor you want! 
 
 
Honey Who - Pop
 
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/3 cup butter
1 envelope Kool-Aid any flavor
1 tsp. baking soda
15+ cups popped popcorn (I popped 3 batches of popcorn in our Whirly Pop)
 
 
Preheat oven to 250 degrees
 
Be sure to remove all of the popcorn kernels and place popcorn into a large bowl. 
 
Lightly grease a large turkey roaster pan or a jelly roll pan.  A turkey roaster pan with sides just makes it easier when stirring the popcorn during baking but I use both kinds of pans all the time. 
 
In a small bowl combine the Kool-Aid packet with 1 tsp baking soda, set aside.
 
In a medium size saucepan melt the sugar, corn syrup and butter over medium heat. 
Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes. 
 
Remove from heat and stir in the Kool-Aid and baking soda mix. Stir for a solid 20 - 30 seconds until all is mixed well.  The mixture will foam but that is expected.  
 
Pour the hot sugar mixture over the popped popcorn. 
Work carefully but quickly and mix until well combined. 
 
Spread popcorn into the turkey roaster or jelly roll pan.
 
Place in pre-heated oven and bake for 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. 
 
Remove the popcorn and immediately spread it out onto waxed paper or foil to cool.  Break it apart into pieces as you lay it out.  Store in an airtight container to maintain crunch
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment